Re: "and" Usage

Subject: Re: "and" Usage
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:49:29 -0700

"Madhavan M" asked:

Michael West wrote:

> ...I can think of a situation in which you might want to write
> "Start Date and Start Time, and End Date and End Time",
> referring to two separate pairs of entities. Note the comma
> inserted between the pairs.

There's no grammatical justification for the insertion of the
comma between two conjoined clauses of equal "weight."

If the intended meaning is to separate two pairs, I'd write:

the starting date and time and the ending date and time

I know it doesn't call out the names specifically, but it's
simple and unambiguous and familiar and unintimidating. :)

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!