Re: Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: Re: Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:31:32 -0800

A teaching from a middle school teacher came to mind, (jr high school).

If, at the beginning of school, your name comes to the attention
of a teacher (for good reasons or bad), at the end of the session
(and grading time) the teacher will remember you, but not sure why, and
be more likely to give you a better grade. This from a teacher, a
rather rebellious one however.

The parallel in the business world are similar, the key is to
get your name out there. It's part of marketing, if your product
(you) is mentioned often enough, it must mean that you are desireable!
Exactly how Red Bull became successful on a product that nobody
really knows what it's contents are.

CB

BG > A friend has suggested I send 200 or more e-mails containing my resume to
BG > companies as part of my job search. I am not sure why, but I have resisted
BG > this idea in the past, thinking it was something that would not be
BG > appreciated by the recipients. Am I wrong about this? Is there any reason
BG > *not* to do it? I cannot account for my thinking on the matter. For some
BG > reason I have always thought it was a bad thing to do, but perhaps I am just
BG > being cowardly. It cannot be that I think it would be a vain effort -- I
BG > think the reason is that I somehow believe that such an e-mail might be an
BG > irritant and that recipients might remember me in the future as the person
BG > who bothered them.

BG > The e-mail to companies would be targeted and sent
BG > individually, not collectively.

BB responded:
BB > There's a slight chance that a mass mailing of resumes will be seen as
BB > spam, but not, I think, a great one. . . .So, on the whole, you're
BB > not going disqualify yourself from consideration simply because your
BB > resume was unsolicited.

BB > The real problem is crafting a cover letter that will make the company
BB > interested in you.
--

Surfy! http://www.surfy.com Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access