RE: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web

Subject: RE: Study: Internet Explorer Dominates the Web
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:35:6

I strongly doubt these figures are even close to accurate. I recall an
article about two or three months ago, though I forget where (Slashdot,
maybe?), that illustrated how such "surveys" can be dramatically inaccurate
when you take into account what constraints they put on their fact-finding.
For example, who did this survey poll? Did it include Mac users, and
Linux or Unix users, or just PC users? Did it poll randomly, or within a
subgroup, such as those who read a particular website (that was the example
debunked in the article I'm trying to remember)?

I'd appreciate someone posting a link to one of these
usage-statistic-debunking articles, if someone can remember where it is
before I can.

It's all about the spin, baby....
Shauna Iannone

-----------cited text:--------------------
According to Web analysis firm OneStat.com, Microsoft's Internet Explorer
is, by far, the dominant Web browser, with over 95 percent of the market.
But perhaps more astonishingly, OneStat.com says that the recently
introduced IE 6.0 is the most often used browser on the Web, with almost
45
percent of all Web surfers using this version.

"Microsoft dominates the browser market with a total global usage share of
96.6 percent on the web," says OneState.com co-founder Niels Brinkman.
Netscape, with just 2.8 percent of the market, and Opera, with 0.5
percent,
round out the total global browser usage share list. OneStat.com says that
the top seven browsers are:
1. Microsoft IE 6.0 (44.7%)
2. Microsoft IE 5.5 (25.6%)
3. Microsoft 5.0 (25.0%)