Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?

Subject: Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:23:31

Martin says:
>> When posting to a discussion list, you are taking the chance
>> that you will be quoted.
>
> And in ways you may never have imagined.
[...]
> On closer examination, I realized that someone had taken a quote
> from one of my posts that was almost a year old and was using it
> as his tagline.

I'd like to second this comment! Prompted by discussions on this list, I
did a brief Google search on my name, and found out a posting I'd made in
college in 1992 had been re-posted on a website as a case study on
researching obscure topics in the library, linked as reference material
from a syllabus for a course three years ago in another college. (!) (I
think the instructor asked permission first, but I honestly can't
recall,...her name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure how she'd have found
me, since my email addy had changed several times since then.)

...It makes me wonder two things: (1) how many prospective employers think
of searching for a name on the Web as part of a background check, and (2)
whether those employers take into account that more than one person can
have the same name, and it's not always easy to identify which is which.

I know I was startled to see that postings I made over a decade ago (when I
was young, foolish, and more prone to speak before thinking) are still
floating around... ...I wonder what effect this will have on kids growing
up on the Internet, when many things they post remain accessible in
perpetuity? And when it comes to the lifespan of documentation, how it
will affect our work? I know of several instances where the internet was a
source (sometimes the only source!) for documentation of older components
being cannibalized for people's personal Frankensystems...

Shauna I.