Re: Recent unusual interview experiences

Subject: Re: Recent unusual interview experiences
From: Kathryn Marshall <Kathryn -dot- E -dot- Marshall -at- jpl -dot- nasa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 08:45:25 -0700

S. Ryan: You have my sympathy. My longest unemployment stint was 5 months, but my frustration was more along the lines of, "I've sent out one gazillion resumes and haven't gotten so much as an automated response." On the one hand, I think it's positive that you're at least getting a phone interview. I do think employment prospects now are a bit better than they were, say, 6 months ago. But as for the WAY you've been interviewed, there could be many reasons:
- employer trying to get dirt on your previous companies and essentially wasting your time (I hate to think that people would do this!)
- inexperienced hiring managers not having the social skills to conduct a proper interview - and by proper, I mean one in which you make the candidate feel at ease.
- too many tech writers and not enough positions - it's a tough job market and hiring managers can be as picky and they wanna be
- you're misinterpreting their tone of voice (I know you're been around the block, but it's still possible especially if you're a bit "on edge" from being unemployed)

I agree with what several people said about taking that time to interview them as well. But I also strongly believe that if the interview is going astray, you have the right to nip it in the bud. If you know at a certain point that you wouldn't want to work there AND the person is making you feel uncomfortable, I say don't waste your time. (And I do think you can do this tactfully without burning bridges.)

My $0.02,
Kathryn

At 5/8/2002 05:36 PM, S Ryan wrote:

I have never experienced this before, and I have
certainly never done anything like this when I was
the hiring manager. I don't really understand what
is going on here, and I was wondering if anyone
else has had this sort of experience.

Lately, the first indication of interest from a
prospective employer is a very aggressive phone
interview. I do mean very. Any general comment
about a previous employer is invariably met with
the Mike Wallace treatment. For example:

"What did you learn at former employer XYZ?"

"I learned abc and def about their product and
technology, as well as of course adjusting to the
dynamics of that particular group, like any new
group you join."
<snip>

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr