Re: Just a Tech Writer (medium length)

Subject: Re: Just a Tech Writer (medium length)
From: Kathryn Marshall <Kathryn -dot- E -dot- Marshall -at- jpl -dot- nasa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:44:11 -0700

Oh Victoria, I hear ya sister! I have BEEN there. Was "just a tech writer" for many years until I couldn't stand it anymore. It got to a point where I knew more about the development process than the developers and felt I could manage projects better than the project managers. And I could design interfaces too! :-) So I proposed that I be the new project manager for an upcoming project. Management agreed to it and in the end, it really helped me expand my horizons. I moved on to become "product" manager at another company (basically doing the same thing but no longer overseeing the developers). The new role involved working not only with developers, but with sales and marketing to write requirements documents and functional specs. Plus it was so "empowering" to be able to include tech writers in the development process upfront!! But then I eventually got tired of trying to climb the ladder, realized I don't like working 80 hour weeks, and that I needed a life outside of work. So...after 10 years I have come full circle and am proudly calling myself a tech writer again (I'm actually a tech writer/editor!! haha).

So while many people have no problem with being "just a tech writer," there was a time when I did. So I did something about it. You can too. I was fortunately able to stay at my current company and move into a new role. It was tough though because sooo many people wanted to pigeonhole me into that role -- thinking that was ALL I was capable of. (I showed them - ha!) You'll either need to accept the fact that many people see you as "just a tech writer" even though you contribute so much more or try moving into a new role completely.

good luck!!
Kathryn

ps. I have a B.S. in tech writing. The cool thing was that moving into PM opened up several new career paths I hadn't even considered. At one point, I was seriously looking into getting my MBA (with future dreams of CEO - gotta aim high, right?).

At 5/9/2002 12:59 PM, Victoria Whitehorne wrote:

The realization that after many years of being a technical writer, albeit a
good one with a variety of experience including desigining and developing
web-based help systems, I'm still "just a tech writer" hit me like a smack
in the face today.

Do any of you perform in this role? If so, what kind of education and
experience do you have? I would greatly appreciate any insight you might be
able to provide.

Thanks in advance.

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr