RE: Request for Assistance from Editors

Subject: RE: Request for Assistance from Editors
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- Price Lisa - IL <PRICEL -at- tusc -dot- com> wrote:
> But how will she know unless they tell her? I always want to know what I
> could have done differently, or what area the testgiver felt I was lacking
> in. While I wouldn't expect someone to be candid enough to admit to rigging
> the test, I think that a sincere request for information about why my work
> wasn't to a certain standard isn't inappropriate.

Who said they wanted to her know? As Bruce pointed out, there can be a lot of
reasons that have nothing to do with her ability to edit. Maybe they didn't
need anymore freelance editors, but didn't want to tell her that. Maybe they
didn't like her. Maybe it was an inside job all along, and they were just going
through the motions before they could give the work to someone they wanted to
give it to all along.

There is no rule that they have to make a test fair. Nor is there a rule that
they have to tell you where you failed to meet their standards. Yes, in a
rational world, everyone would be fair and would treat others fairly. But that
doesn't happen on this planet very much.

But to get back to Bruce's real point: It doesn't matter. Bonnie didn't get the
gig. It's time to move on. The excuses just don't matter.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 03/14/02
--The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.--

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr