RE: How to fend off a tech writer

Subject: RE: How to fend off a tech writer
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 13:52:35 -0700

At 11:55 AM 5/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:

I try very hard to find out what works for engineers, developers, managers,
shop stewards, or whatever. Some people like one-on-one, others prefer larger
gatherings. I've always felt it was up to me to find out or figure out how I
can best get the information I need.

Some prefer phone calls, others email, and some face-to-face meetings. If you're always showing up at the developer's desk (or calling on the phone) I can see why they'd get annoyed. It annoys me too. ;) If you're in the middle of something very involved (like coding) interruptions totally ruin your concentration.

I try to communicate in email first -- it's not just my preferred method of communication, it's also the method most of my developers like too. But if I find that a particular person prefers to communicate another way (like the phone) I make sure to remember so I can make the whole process easier on them.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to not ask stupid questions. ;) I know some people say there is no such thing, but I disagree. Any question where it would be relatively easy for you to get the answer yourself is a stupid question. One example would be asking a simple tech writing question on this list without first consulting the archives.... It's shows you're lazy and you waste other people's time.

I mean, developers usually take pride in their work and like to talk about their code (or whatever they're making) and impress people. So if you can half understand what they're saying and nod appreciatively, it does go a long way.

-Katie

Buy RoboHelp Office in May and you'll save $100 with our mail-in rebate.
Or switch from Doc-to-Help or ForeHelp to RoboHelp Office for only $499.
Get the help authoring tool PC magazine recently awarded a perfect score!
Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr