intranet design

Subject: intranet design
From: Pamela_Paterson -at- hcm -dot- honda -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 09:32:41 -0400

Hello,

I'm new to Homesite development and I have some questions about how to
develop an intranet site in Homesite. It is a site that will assist
developers in reproducing the work (generating 60 reports in Crystal
Reports) of contractors who will be leaving the project. Let me give you
the shorty:

Site will include:
- files of various formats (Word, Excel, PDF, and Access database)
containing information on how to reproduce and maintain the project
(including SQL logic cut and paste into Word)
- indexing probably with Inktomi (yet to be decided)
- some work with ColdFusion, I think, for the Access database

Considerations
- keep information in source format for easy updating
- avoid converting all of the documents to HTML
- avoid having several different applications opening for the various
formats
- provide quick retrieval of information
- provide excellent search and indexing capability
- learning ColdFusion

My questions are:
- Can I use something called a document reader to view documents within the
website? How does a document reader work? Does it convert the format? My
goal is to keep the file in its original format, but view in one that is
picked up by the intranet search tool.
- If I use an indexing tool like Inktomi, will Inktomi index all of the
documents in the site, including those linked in their original formats?
- Is ColdFusion pretty straightforward?

I have a template I can use in Homesite. Thanks in advance. I really
appreciate all of your help.

Pam

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l