RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs

Subject: RE: Editing and writing tests for jobs
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:46:45 -0600

On 15 May 2002 at 13:36, Goober wrote:

> Anyone with half a brain and some ability to organize info can write a
> half-way decent procedure or chunk of prose.

I must disagree. Otherwise, I would have to conclude that we have
many people with only half a brain walking about.

> The REAL test of a tech writer is the ability to handle situations and
> get information, either out of people or from technical papers.

With this I agree, which is why I think that Connie's approach of
asking the applicant to document a simple GUI is a good one. She
is available for questions if the person choses to ask, she gets to
see how the person performs under stress, and she gets an
indication of the person's writing abilities.

Of course you wouldn't base your sole decision on the results of the
test, but it might help to determine which individual might better fit
with your team.

Dana W.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l