Re: time

Subject: Re: time
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:21:02 +0200

>Would anyone in the rest of Europe write
>this time as 14:34 or 2:34pm?

Yes. Common practice in Germany is to write 14:34 Uhr. To find out more,
you could check the International settings of your operating system.
Using mine, this suggests the following preferences:

Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal,
Spain, Switzerland (French, Italian): 14:34
Austria, Germany, Switzerland (German): 14:34 Uhr [in German texts only;
if you drop the "Uhr", it will still be understood from the context]
UK: 2:34 pm
Sweden: 14.34

As expected, use of the 12-hour clock is limited to the English-speking
islands. And though I am not completely sure, I do not think that any of
the European countries not mentioned above uses the 12-hour clock.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 81 79 93 07 12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de
Handelsregister: München HRB 99345

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l