Re: Number vs figure

Subject: Re: Number vs figure
From: Anita Legsdin <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:57:35 -0700

There have been so many "helpful" suggestions about this subject that I
feel the need to continue the thread.

Eric Dunn was right--it's not the job of the translater to correct the
original. The job of the translator is to translate into the language they
know best; this is why most companies hire native speakers to translate
English into (insert language here). Even though I've spoken French for the
past more-than-20 years, I'd certainly never presume to correct French
spoken or written by a native of France.

Having said that, there is also the point that certain
phrases--particularly idioms--are difficult to translate because they're
ambiguous to a non-native speaker. The use of "as" or "since" instead of
"because" is one example. But to substitute "figure" for the more standard
"number" would result in more confusion for Americans. (I can't speak for
the British....)

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

"Old age isn't for sissies. If you want to enjoy old age, you have to work
at it."
--Edward Vandenberg, MD, geriatrician

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l