Word tables...again...(setting a fixed size)?

Subject: Word tables...again...(setting a fixed size)?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:57:22 -0400

Justin Ressler reports: <<I would like... a table size of 7" x 4". I am
aware of a way of keeping the table to a set width...is there a
way to set a fixed length?>>

Several ways. First, you could create a text box (Insert-->Text box) of the
desired size, then edit the table to be sure it fits within the visible
portion of the text box. Second, you could set the page size to the size of
the cards you plan to print, and edit the table to fit within the desired
page margins. I prefer the latter approach because it's simpler, and lets
you subsequently generate a PDF that could be used to generate film for
offset printing. But it's easy to force a table to expand beyond the page
size, so you can't rigorously prevent someone from exceeding these bounds.

<<The header information on the first card is different from the header
information on the follow on cards>>

Just create a new table on each page of the Word document. If the tables
have fixed numbers of columns, but different column titles, all you need to
do is create a master copy of the table, then copy and past it into each new
page. You mentioned cutting and pasting text from the old models into the
new templates, and that's not a hard thing. Start by copying the original
column titles. (If Word is being cranky, you may need to export the original
tables to text by choosing Table-->Convert table to text, and using tabs as
the column delimiters.) Next, cut this text and switch to the new template.
Conclude by selecting the column titles and pasting the old text. Provided
you have the same number of columns in the original and new tables, this
works quickly and efficiently.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that."--Kim Roper

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l