RE: How do you prefer to deal with long flowcharts?

Subject: RE: How do you prefer to deal with long flowcharts?
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:40:44

Bruce Byfield notes:
> Often, too, you'll find that the more abstract version is all
> that users actually need. However, if they do need more detail,
> and the details occupy more than a single page, then the abstract
> version will still help users to grasp the entire system being charted.

I wanted to insert a comment here because this "what do you *really* need
to show here" analysis may be one of the parameters in which I will find
more variation in the future. The doc in question for my example isn't an
end-user doc, but rather part of the design docs.[1] I can see how other
examples of the same concept, however, may benefit from this approach in
the future. It reminds me of the screenshot discussion, frankly, and the
idea of an "establishing shot" vs. an "action sequence".[2]

Shauna

[1] (It's a system, not project doc--in my current doc set, the system
design docs are a live "as is" representation of the system's current
design, while project design docs are more limited,...just the specs the
developers generate for the specific piece of a system being created or
modified. Excerpts from system design docs may be used to help
explain/explore issues with non-code-speaking internal customers when we
develop requirements for system modifications, or to show an FDA auditor
how an app. applies 'enforced permitted sequencing of steps', etc.)
[2] (...OK, maybe this is just part of me that is subconsciously trying to
make sure I see Star Wars Episode 2 this weekend...)

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l