RE: Reporting indecent spam

Subject: RE: Reporting indecent spam
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:28:55 +0100

> Yeah, I've been getting some weird mails on this work email account (which
> is brand new - I've never given it out to anyone) as well as on
> my personal
> acccount (which is more understandable considering that's the one
> I use for
> signing up for anything). I always delete them and my virus check must be
> doing its job cause my system is clean.
>
> Anyone have a clue about this spam?

It may well be the Klez virus which is going round at the moment.

Apparently one of its tricks is to search your system for email addresses,
and then forward itself to one or more of your contacts as if it were coming
from another of your contacts. I understand that it (like some other
viruses) contains sufficient code to run a simple SMTP session so that it
can propagate itself without relying on your email program.

More details here
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32 -dot- klez -dot- h -at- mm -dot- html

Regards
Jonathan West