Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:40:01 -0600

On Mon, 27 May 2002 06:38:23 -0600, in bit.listserv.techwr-l
debray -at- raycomm -dot- com ("Deborah S. Ray") wrote:

> $We've updated the TECHWR-L Poll with a new question:
> $
> $In your opinion, should screenshots be used in
> $online help?
> $
> $* Screenshots should always be in online help
> $* Screenshots should sometimes be in online help
> $* Screenshots should rarely be in online help
> $* Screenshots should never be in online help
> $* It depends on the application
> $* Other/none of the above

To that one, I have to answer "Other".

Does having a screen shot in the online help file help the user of the
software?

If it does, then yes, by all means include one.

If it doesn't help the user, or the user finds it confusing, then no, it
shouldn't be in the help file.

And the answer to both those applications is independent of the
application being documented.

--
John Fleming
Technical Communication Contractor