RE: IntelliMouse ?

Subject: RE: IntelliMouse ?
From: Jennifer Maitland <jlm -at- kwi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:39:54 +0100

Fran says:

"Hi Jennifer!

Regarding your IntelliMouse question that you posted on the TECHWR-L, I was
wondering if anyone was able to identify the patch you were searching for?
I read the two thread responses to get a new mouse and use keyboard
shortcuts but that really doesn't solve Frame's problem. I haven't used
Frame in quite a while and just updated from v5.5.6 to v6.0. Assumed Adobe
would have added code to be able to use the "wheel" and was surprised that
they didn't.

As I am also experiencing wrist problems, I know the discomfort you are
feeling.

Thanks for any tips you can give share w/me."

Hi Fran,

Here is the solution I forwarded to a couple of other people. I seem to
recall that there was an Adobe patch when I last had the problem two years
ago, but this time around the solution lies in the hands of Microsoft
<shudder> the makers of my mouse:

I went here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/intellimouseex/Install/4.01/NT5XP/EN-
US/IP4_0EngNoMsi.exe

downloaded the application and ran it. The only weird thing was that it asks
you what programs you are having problems with. In my case, I was having
problems with Framemaker, but when I selected that product name the problem
wasn't fixed. I went back and tried the name of the actual mouse, which was
the only other thing listed, and it worked. Not exactly intuitive, but it
worked all the same.

Anyway, the list has gone quite in depth into discussing the idea of
keyboard shortcuts (much appreciated, thanks) but unfortunately I am already
an extremely avid keyboard shortcut user and I am still experiencing pain in
my hands and wrists. One user said that he'd bought a mouse that had the
index finger area slightly raised and that has helped him. I am going to
give a new mouse a try. I have also switched from right hand mousing to left
hand mousing as since I am right handed, I figure that hand gets more of a
workout anyway.

I also found that my wrist has been helped by the little wrist rest pillow I
bought at the stationary store - it goes under your wrist while you're
mousing.

I have an appointment with my doctor, but what with the NHS being what it
is, that appointment is still three weeks away. I'll keep everyone informed
if I happen to find anything else particularily helpful.

Cheers,
Jennifer Maitland

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l