RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone

Subject: RE: Wheel mouse/track ball/keyboard/left brain-right brain/zone
From: Rosemary J Horner <rhorner -at- quellos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:33:51 -0700

Steven Jong wrote:

> I propose a different hypothesis: the differences are age-related.
> Those of us who learned computers before GUIs may have a
> different preferred style of interaction.

I've heard this kind of theory many times. Either I'm just an exception, or
the _tiny_ bit of fiddling around I did on a Spectrum (anybody remember
those? ...used the TV and a tape recorder...) when I was 12 counts as
"learning computers before GUIs." I think my interest lasted a couple of
months. And then I really didn't touch computers again 'til 5 years ago when
I was 28.

Anyway, I really got into computers well after GUIs, but I still prefer to
use keyboard shortcuts as much as I can. Whatever I'm doing, I want to find
the most efficient way to do it, and usually that's a keyboard shortcut.
Mind you, I've also set my mouse wheel to go "Back" when I press it. When
I'm online, I'm using the mouse much more, and it saves me moving the mouse
to the Back button, or my hand to the keyboard.... Is that just laziness??
:-)

Rosemary

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l