FWD: question about contracting w/o agencies

Subject: FWD: question about contracting w/o agencies
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:35:33 -0600 (MDT)

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR

After several years of working only in salaried positions as a fulltime
employee, I've been approached about a possible opportunity at a company
where they would start me out as a contractor, with a long-term goal of
me becoming an employee in 6 months if things go well. The opportunity
itself sounds good, and my current position is in jeopardy, so I'm ready
to make a preemptive (or should I say pre-layoff?) move.

In my area, many contractors work with agencies, and are actually able to
get nice benefit packages, which I assume are offered by the agencies
themselves rather than the companies where they place their workers.
However, in this instance I've been contacted directly by a recruiter at
the company where I'd be seeking employment. I've only had one
conversation with the recruiter, and it was a brief and high-level chat,
necessitated by the open cube in which I work. So I was unable to ask
some pertinent questions.

So, pardon my ignorance, but I'd like to ask a few things from the
contractors who populate this list:

Is it common to have some sort of benefit package with long-term
contracts? (This one would be 6 months, with a very large and successful
company) Or is that something peculiar to certain agencies or geographic
areas?

Do most of you carry your own individual health insurance, or are you
able to rely on a spouse or relative for that? How hard is it to find
individual policies that are both affordable and actually useful?

Apologies for my naiveté, but I'd never really been interested in
contracting, but this seems like one of very few options at the moment.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l