Re: Fog Index, take II

Subject: Re: Fog Index, take II
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 20:12:12 -0700

Mysti Rubert wrote:

The point is, if you write simple sentences, using the shortest words that are still accurate and as complete as necessary, your readers will grasp the material more quickly. This has been measure, no I don't have
sources at hand.

I agree with you, but I don't think you need any sources to prove this point.

Most people, especially writers, should be able to observe it, both by their own reading and by observation of other people reading.

Or, if observation isn't enough, how about logic:

One classic definition of an independent clause is a complete thought. A compound sentence has two or more independent clauses, and therefore two or more ideas. Similarly, a subordinate clause or prepositional phrase carries details of the thought. Two or more subordinate clauses or prepositional phrases mean two or more details.

The more independent clauses and the more subordinate clauses and prepositional phrases, the more the reader has to absorb or remember..

Therefore, unless anyone wants to claim that remembering one item is no easier than remembering several, a simple sentence communicates more effectively than a compound, complex, or compound-complex sentence.

Of course, a simple sentence isn't always adequate for communication, and writers can usually trust the average reader with several thoughts or details at a time. You can also increase retention by such devices as repetition of key words or key structure (that is parallelism). However, in general, the logic seems indisputable to me.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l