RE: Plain English (Re: Fog Index, Re: Simplified English)

Subject: RE: Plain English (Re: Fog Index, Re: Simplified English)
From: David Farbey <David -dot- Farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:41:23 +0100

In Britain the Plain English Campaign promotes the use of appropriate
language, paricularly in official documents. They agree that this does not
always mean using the simplest possible words. "We define plain English as
something that the intended audience can read, understand and act upon the
first time they read it. Plain English takes into account design and layout
as well as language."

At one time the campaign did use the Fog Index, but they don't any more:
"The FOG index was a very rough measure of 'readability' used in Plain
English Campaign's first report, 'Small Print', in the early 1980s. We do
not recommend it, or any other mathematical formula for measuring
readability. You cannot give a document a score for plain English - either
it is crystal-clear or it isn't. There is no substitute for testing a
document on real people."

I know there are similar campigns in other counries. Has anyone ever had to
write documents that meet "plain English", rather than "Simplified English"
standards? (In Britain the campaign awards a "Crystal Mark" to approved
documents.)

More at http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/index.html

David Farbey
mailto:david -dot- farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com
Technical Writer
Lazy Software Ltd., UK
http://www.lazysoft.com
Phone: 01628-642314