Re: FWD: question about contracting w/o agencies

Subject: Re: FWD: question about contracting w/o agencies
From: "Mysti Rubert" <mystilou -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 01:54:05 +0000

I've never encountered a company who would put a contractor on health insurance. It's one of the rules that makes them an employee (I THINK!).
What Anon should discuss is whether she's contract or employee. If employee, better have bennies. If contractor, better charge a higher rate than current employee salary, as health care cost will rocket.

The definition of contractor vs. employee is critical to the "hiring"
company, given the trouble the IRS has given companies & contractors
about this in the last few years. First entertainment, then computer folks were deliberately targetted, and some large companies have permanently changed their policies as a result, the most common being not hiring any contractor for longer than 1 year, ever. I've interviewed several managers who found this maddening (who wants to lose a talented contractor after 1 year?)....

Mysti

Health care is obviously (and rightly) a concern of Anon's. I would
suggest that Anon be willing to negotiate a smaller hourly/weekly or whatever
fee in return for being added to the organization's health plan. Recognize that
they will incur a cost and work with them to lower your rate to meet them (at
least part way). Especially if they are serious about the contract leading to
PFT status, they should be interested in working with you on this.
=

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l