Re: Need tips on reducing Word file size

Subject: Re: Need tips on reducing Word file size
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

> We are using StarTeam, which has a 2MB restriction
> on file sizes. I'm up
> to 4.4MB so I need to put this document on a diet!

StarTeam does not have a file size restriction unless
YOUR StarTeam admins in your company placed one there.
I suggest you talk to them, determine why the silly
restriction to 2MB per file, and ask them nicely to
increase the size, if not for every account, at least
for yours. Perhaps this 2MB restriction was put into
place to curb code bloat in development, but tech
writers more often than not produce files greater than
2MB. If they don't bump up the threshold for you, talk
to your manager and explain the situation. You
shouldn't have to spend valuable time asking a mailing
list of over 5000 busy people how to reduce a Word
file's size so you can check it into a revision
control system that shouldn't care how big your files
are. (FWIW, I used StarTeam for about a year and the
largest file I ever checked in was a little over
100MB. I worked closely with our StarTeam admins as I
needed customized access to several folders, so I know
that StarTeam is highly customizable down to not only
the single account level, but down to individual file
access for an individual account. It's a damn powerful
revision tracking and source control system. I suggest
your admins use it wisely.)

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l