RE: Need tips on reducing Word file size

Subject: RE: Need tips on reducing Word file size
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:58:01 -0500

At 9:29 AM -0700 6/5/02, Kathryn Marshall wrote:

Great topic! The timing of this question is perfect. I have a -- *wince* -- 15 MB Word file. It's 170 pages long, with lots of sections and graphics and formatting. I know many of you are cringing as I write this. FWIW, I'm SO used to FrameMaker, I'm not sure the best way to manage Word files anymore (not an excuse, I know). I've thought of breaking the document into smaller pieces, but the problem is it will eventually go back to the authors, who will mostly like get confused if the document is in pieces.

I tried the "copy everything but last paragraph marker" thing just now and it didn't work (maybe because of all the sections?)

The next thing I'm going to try is to redo the graphics (this may take some effort, since I'll have to get the files from the authors). But question: by converting the bmps to gifs, it seems like I'd would lose image quality - yes? (The final document will be printed.) I guess the other option would be to link the graphics instead of embed them.

Any other suggestions? Are there preferences or options I need to select/deselect?

Thanks,
Kathryn

Goal for the day: Shout "I hate Word!" no more than three times over the cubicle wall.

Amanda,

GIFs are lossless so they are ok for BMP alternatives. A better choice is PNG graphic format, high resolution, lossless, and small footprint. I don't remember if Word accepts that. Word 97 doesn't.

Scott

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l