Re: Documentation Metrics

Subject: Re: Documentation Metrics
From: Paul Goble <pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:44:33 -0600

> * What criteria do you use to verify if a document is good, in the
> absence of user feedback ?

The only reliable metric I've found has been usability testing,
measuring things like "how many hints do we have to give the
user before they complete a task" and "how long does it take
the user to complete a task."

Often, I discover that my initial concept of "good" was completely
off the mark. For example, for some products, most users consistently
look at only one section of the manual; for them, the quality of that
section IS the quality of the manual. For them, it doesn't matter
whether the other sections are gems of perfection or defect-ridden trash.

Lacking real users, I use surrogate users (anyone I can find who
matches what we think are the important characteristics of real users).

Of course, such testing is expensive (more in terms of time than money),
so I reserve it for precedent-setting documents or for manuals for the
most important products.

Paul

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l