RE: Writing for a particular audience Was: When users want jargon ...

Subject: RE: Writing for a particular audience Was: When users want jargon ...
From: Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 10:14:51 -0700

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:05:48 +1000, Geoff Purchase <Geoff -dot- Purchase -at- ReTechGlobal -dot- com> wrote:

>This is in no way meant to be taken in a negative light, just an example of particular audiences.
>|Two junior high schools fed students into the high school I attended.
>
>I grew up and still live in Australia - It has taken me a short while to
>work out what this sentence was meant to communicate. I can only assume the
>target audience is in the US? ...

Geoff:

Just because I did not transition from primary school to high school, but instead, went from junior high school to high school, that does not mean that I mean to exclude you as my audience.

And thanks for the information about the current configuration of your country's education system. I have read quite a few autobiographical and biographical works and very few of them trouble to provide such a complete description.

Guess we are back to the making of that P&B sandwich, aren't we? What you were pointing out was that I left out a crucial step -- I neglected to describe how those peanut trees were cultivated, did I not?

Which made my entire description of my high school English learning experience entirely impossible for you to understand? Or did you just have a little difficulty in those first few sentences? Did seeing the words "fed into" and "high school" help you to grasp the rest, with just a bit of effort on your part?

Imagine the difficulty those in the USA have with books about English youths who were educated at private (which, here in the USA, would be -- public) schools.

Frankly, this is not a problem I intend to give deep thought to in the near future.

--Emily

~ Emily Berk ~
~ On the web at www.armadillosoft.com *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Internet and non-internet application development, project ~
~ management, developer relations and extremely-technical technical ~
~ documentation that developers find useful. ~

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l