RE: First time interviewer!

Subject: RE: First time interviewer!
From: "Margaret Secara" <margaret -dot- secara -at- alphather -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:33:50 -0700

Maggie Secara
Technical Writer

IT Systems & Programming
Alpha Therapeutic Corporation
Los Angeles, CA

(323) 227-7251

>>> "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com> Wednesday, June 12, 2002 >>>

> Rebecca Stevenson wrote:
> Hm. I actually like the strengths/weaknesses question, both as an
> interviewer and interviewee. If answered honestly, I think it can
> be very useful in getting an idea of people's working styles and
> personal goals.

My problem with the "weaknesses" question is that you're not really expected
to answer it honestly, you're expected to "spin" the answer so that your
"weakness" is actually a strength (e.g. "I'm a perfectionist"). But maybe
that's a cynical interpretation.

No, I think that's exactly true. I tried the "I'm a perfectionist" thing and got a thin smile in response, like, ok, now what's your real answer? I AM a perfectionist, but still...

My standard answer to "what are your
weaknesses" is "caffeine and chocolate".

I'm going to have to remember that! When they ask my strengths, I say: "I write very, very well." :-)

Honestly, if you're going to ask about strengths and weaknesses, try to make it clear that you're asking in a business context. Someone interviewing for a junior position may very well not have read the right books yet, and doesn't necessarily know (unless they are already on this list <g>) that their talent on the piano and their fear of spiders is not what you're looking for, and fumbling around *that* can make anyone look like an idiot.

Just a thought,

Maggie Secara

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l