RE: First time interviewer!

Subject: RE: First time interviewer!
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:52:36 -0700

I found it helpful to ask a mix of writing and gobbledy-gook questions.
The writing questions and samples only told me part of what I needed to
know. When I was interviewing people I worked for a very small company;
we needed someone who could take off and run with what she was given.
The very first person I interviewed, I think I was as nervous as he. I
stuck to my script of planned questions, even though I felt silly asking
them. Sure enough, the answers revealed that this first candidate liked
to work heads-down and "not be bothered" with other people's (work)
problems. We were a 15 person company struggling to survive. You HAD to
be willing to drop what you were doing and pitch in on the crisis of the
moment. I wouldn't have found that out if I'd stuck to discussing the
finer points of Strunk and White.

This is not directly question related, but you're going to get people
leaving CDs, samples, etc. Make sure you're clear up front that they
must make their own arrangements to get them back (provide an SASE, for
example) or simply can't have them back. One person wanted ME to provide
the postage to send back a sample CD he left. Not a chance.

Good luck!

Lisa