Re: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?

Subject: Re: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:35:15 -0700

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Don't forget, however, that not everybody uses a mail client
> that displays HTML, or sets a mail client to do so.

The question wasn't whether she *should* send HTML. Most of my e-mail messages--both business and personal--are in plain text. It just takes up less bandwidth.

> The longer that users have been using a computer, and the more
> technically oriented they are, the more likely that they won't
> care to receive HTML e-mail.

Oh, I don't know that I agree with this at all.

> Some of them may even be annoyed by it.

Without question.

> I would never, for example, send an HTML news letter to a group
> of Linux users.

Again, that wasn't the question.

More to the point, I was talking strictly about "opt-in" marketing, where the recipient has asked to receive the messages.

Also, any opt-in e-mail marketing service worth a glance will include a setting that allows the recipient to specify a preference for HTML or plain-text messages.

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l