RE: Seeking terminology advice

Subject: RE: Seeking terminology advice
From: "Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646)" <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:18:49 -0700

> > So here's what we need terms for: The type of
> > collection that resides on a homemade CD and
> > includes everything, and the type of collection
> > where everything but the music is on your hard
> > disk and the music is on a CD as usual.

> <snip>
> >
> > (Moreover, is "collection" even the right word?
> > Lots of CDs that you buy at the store call
> > themselves collections, and when we use MPEGs,
> > we can fit many such traditional collections
> > onto one CD, so maybe our own is really an
> > ubercollection that should have some other
> > name?)

How about "Library" .. or "Anthology"... ?

I prefer "Library" for both as I like the analogy. I would tend to call
one a CD Library and the other a PC Library. The alternative is to call one
the CD Library an "MPEG" Library. The two things that make the libraries
different are the storage format of the music and the storage device. I
think the storage device is more primary. You can explain the differences
in the documentation and then go about using the terms.

Rosie Wilcox

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l