RE: OpenOffice Trial

Subject: RE: OpenOffice Trial
From: "Klasovsky, Nick" <nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:04:03 -0400

I downloaded OpenOffice and tried it out....sad to say, that in spite of
some fine features, especially list numbering that works!, after a few
minutes of use, it makes my video card go crazy...something that MS Office
never does.

I'm running Windows 2000 on an Intel P4 1.4 GHz box with 256 Mb RDRAM, with
a 16 Mb ATI Rage Fury Pro card, which runs everything from MS Office 2000
Pro to Corel Draw 9 to AutoCAD LT 2002 to Solidworks 2001Plus Viewer just
fine. I don't know what is in OpenOffice that would do it, but I can't find
a fix for it, other than constantly refreshing my display. Oh well.

It is not very intuitive, if you're used to Word or Word Perfect, and lacks
some features I've grown used to. If you can get it to run trouble-free its
definitely worth the money...however, the small, uncomplicated page I did
manage to create I saved as a Word file. The formatting was NOT intact when
I opened it in Word, so forget 100% compatibility with Word users....it
doesn't work. I also saved the page as HTML. Formatting was not perserved in
this instance either. Word, despite its garbage HTML coding, actually does a
much better job saving files as HTML than OpenOffice does.

IMHO, if you already have a copy of MS Office, Open Office provides no
compelling reason to switch.

Nick Klasovsky
Senior Technical Writer
Nordson Corporation