RE: STC backstabbing? (Take II)

Subject: RE: STC backstabbing? (Take II)
From: mgmiller -at- goodwriter -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:16:10 -0700

---Original Message from GOOBER---
<snip>
Sure, the STC does a
good deal in an organized manner, but one thing it
doesn't do is market the profession outside the
profession. I've tried to get this going in the past
but I'm expected to do all the leg work. Isn't there
an administrative group in the STC? Maybe they should
increase the dues a bit and hire on one or two people
to manage things and do some marketing...

The fact is, an individual in the STC can
only do so much. There needs to be a backbone in place
to initiate these things. Otherwise I can ask for help
all I want and get some initial helpers, but in no
time they fizzle out because of family and/or work
obligations, which is perfectly legitimate.

So, again, I want to reiterate that I have and still
do actively contribute to the STC but I see some big
holes needing filling. The first and foremost is a
backbone of resources who are compensated to market
the profession, the society, and to drive involvement.
Otherwise we'll continue to spin our wheels until more
than two people jump onto an initiative and stick with it.

You're right, you're right, you're right on all counts. You're dealing
with a non-profit, volunteer-based organization. You're experiencing the
problems with marshalling committed volunteer forces dedicated to a
cause - they're living all over the world and dealing with various
economic job-related issues, not to mention all the other things that
make up a life and suck up time and energy.

If you want it done, you'll have to do it yourself, leg work and all. It
will have to be your cause to make it STC's cause, and it will take a
long time because moving a 22,000 member group in any particular
direction is a mammoth undertaking and you wouldn't believe the
restrictions being a 501(c) organization can put on you. I speak from
experience because for a couple of years I was the Society's
International Employment Manager. You'll have to become the
International Pain in the A** and you may have to get yourself into the
bureaucracy if you want to accomplish what you're proposing.
Overwhelming to consider? I know it burned me out pretty quick.

The Society has 16 staff members, one of whom is a "Special Projects
Director" and another who is the "Public Relations Director." That's as
good a place as any to start with them, if you haven't tried it all
ready. http://www.stc.org/contacts.html

STC could do more. But *we* are STC, not the 16 staffers sitting in
Arlington. Or we could change the charter, raise the dues, hire the
professionals, let them do the work and then *they* will be STC. But
then we're back to the fact that somebody has to initiate that cause and
see it through. Either way, Goober, I'm afraid it's all on you.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l