RE: Context Sensitive TOC + Content (long)

Subject: RE: Context Sensitive TOC + Content (long)
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:28:55 -0700

You call this a "unique idea," and I say you have a bright future in the
diplomatic corps. ;-)

To your developers, I would say, "What on EARTH for?" From the
description you've given, this sounds like a really bad idea in terms of
serving the needs of the users. Context-sensitive Help calls should
direct users to a position in the helpset that either (a) contains the
information relevant to the task in which the user is currently engaged
or (b) contains links to a variety information relevant to the task in
which the user is currently engaged. I cannot see how it would be
beneficial to restrict the users' ability to navigate through the
complete helpset after being directed to a particular context-sensitive
Help target. Has any of your developers been able to articulate why this
might be a good idea or how it might benefit users to prevent them from
accessing the complete helpset?

In think the proposal is likely to create a great deal of additional
work for you, the other writers on your team, and the developers
themselves, while ensuring that a lower quality information product is
eventually delivered to your users.

I'm trying to think of some pros, but so far all I can think of is cons.

Regards,

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker & WebWorks Publisher
Consulting & Training on RoboHelp
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT & wwp-users