RE: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute... (a few replies)

Subject: RE: SLAVE labor? Just a darn minute... (a few replies)
From: "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:47:55 +0100

> As for less skilled/more skilled in the 3rd World VS USA,
> well... DUH! If they had an equally skilled workforce, they wouldn't be
> 3rd World, would they?

This is a troll, right? A deliberate inflammatory message intended to raise
hackles and provoke an angry response? I really shouldn't feed it, but...

India, today, is a 3rd world country. That does not mean to say that it will
still be a 3rd world country in 100 years time. The US was not always an
economic powerhouse either. Indians are a very successful immigrant group in
the UK and US. If you think Indians are not at least as smart as anyone
else, may I suggest that you haven't met many.

OK, obligatory techwriting links:
1) Know your audience. Many people reading this list are not from the US.
I'm not even Indian, nor do I have any ties to India, and I found this
remark incredibly insulting and insular.
2) Know your value. What can you add that an Indian tech writer can't?
Knowledge of user needs? Closeness to developers? More experience in the
industry? Better grasp of English as spoken in the US/UK/wherever?
I'm sorry, but "I'm obviously smarter than him because his country has more
poor people than mine" is not a valid marketing strategy.

No offence meant to any Americans - I don't believe this comment was typical
of your countrymen or women, and I hope no-one else did either.

Fiona

This email (and any attachment) is private and confidential. If you were
not meant to receive it, please delete it and tell us by phone or email.
Although we scan all email and attachments we do not accept responsibility
for viruses.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l