Re: An Editor's Role...To Punish the Writer?

Subject: Re: An Editor's Role...To Punish the Writer?
From: "Worzel Gummidge" <worzel_gummidge -at- lycos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:22:31 0000

All:

I've been at this company for about 5 weeks, and apart from trying my darndest to meet next to impossible deadlines, I've had to deal with something that I've never had to deal with before. Our editors seem to have the attitude of: "We need to punish those naughty writers." And believe me, punish they do. For example, I recently received a document that not only had tons of "slash and burn" comments(and yes, I know my own weaknesses), but the tone was tense and terse. Also, our editors copy our managers, directors, and anyone else they feel should look over the writer's work..."Sigh"

I was under a complete illusion, that is I thought that editors where here to help and to point out inconsistencies, I was wrong! A writer must turn in a completely clean doc, and if they don't *&$#!!! Never mind that you may have had only a few weeks to write a 700 page manual from scratch.

Here's what burns in my mind. If all the writers turned in completely clean docs, why have editors?

Worzel

Win a first-class trip to New Orleans and vacation Elvis Style!.
Enter NOW!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail/http://www.elvis.lycos.com/sweepstakes/

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l