Re: An Editor's Role...To Punish the Writer?

Subject: Re: An Editor's Role...To Punish the Writer?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:06:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- Worzel Gummidge <worzel_gummidge -at- lycos -dot- com> wrote:
> writers." And believe me, punish they do. For example, I recently
> received a document that not only had tons of "slash and burn"
> comments(and yes, I know my own weaknesses), but the tone was tense
> and terse. Also, our editors copy our managers, directors, and
> anyone else they feel should look over the writer's work..."Sigh"

Worzel...I thought by now that someone would ask this question...of
the "tons of "slash and burn" comments, how many of them were valid
and how many not...aside from tone and attitude...were they right?

To be honest...if the tons were valid, it could be that they started
with the mindset of being cooperative, but they changed their mind as
they worked on the content. Consider this...we don't know you, we
don't know anything about how you write...you may write well...OTOH,
you might not...we have no way of knowing this.

It may also be that you have thin skin and big ego...take it from
someone who knows...if you have a big ego and object to being
questioned, either write REALLY well or thicken that skin. We also
haven't seen their input...some of us might not take offense with it.

If I need to edit work that is not up to expected standards, I get
kinda pissy too. OTOH, your stuff may be acceptable and they may be dorks.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
...and everything...is...42
--- Deep Thought