Re: Slow Tech Writers (offshoot of "Looking for advice -- up to the j ob?")

Subject: Re: Slow Tech Writers (offshoot of "Looking for advice -- up to the j ob?")
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:35:20 -0700

Jason asked:
So, are you a sprinter or a grinder?

Sorry - I think I break the category divisions.

Call me a middle-distance writer.

On the one hand, I'm capable of sustained bursts of speed - I once wrote a 220 page manual in ten work days - and I enjoy doing new things. I can also do a fast sprint when I see the finish line in sight, or have a good strategic reason for doing so.

On the other hand, most of the time I prefer to move at a steady, moderate clip - not grinding, but not sprinting, either.

Now that I think, I used to run in much the same way, so the whole question is obviously deep and insightful (and probably as Freudian and therefore as dirty as all get out as well).

"Around he spins and around he spins
darkness is his whole domain -
truth, kiss, promise, dare -
aren't you tired of party games?"