tech-writing tools for Linux

Subject: tech-writing tools for Linux
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:28:18 -0700

For my own use,I'm assembling a list of useful free software/open source writing tools for Linux. I was well-aware of standard tools such as OpenOffice, Abiword, and dia, but here's some lesser-known ones that may be useful to people other than me:

- quanta: a GUI editor for developing on-line help for the KDE desktop.

- manedit: a GUI editor for writing man pages. It enforces the conventional struture.

-ktexmaker2: a GUI for latex.It takes most of the pain out of latex.Requires the KDE desktop installed (unsurprisingly)

- screem: described as a "site creator," screem is a multi-purpose editor for web sites. It contains quite an impressive collection of tools, including ones for writing scripts of various sorts, as well as HTML and XHTML and a menu for CVS version control. What might make it especially interesting for me is that it has a wizard for writing css style sheets.Requires the GNOME desktop installed.

Some of these tools are probably not new, but I can only plead too many packages and too little time for not discovering them before. I'm using Debian these days, and I heard last week that Debian unstable (aka "sid") currently has over ten thousand packages.I've got about 800 on my computer, and I haven't even had time to sort through all of those.

If anybody has any other discoveries, please feel free to add to the list.

"Around he spins and around he spins
darkness is his whole domain -
truth, kiss, promise, dare -
aren't you tired of party games?"