Documenting incremental releases in a What's New

Subject: Documenting incremental releases in a What's New
From: "Hart, Rowena" <Hart -at- SelkirkFinancial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:28:11 -0700

Hi all,

We had a major release (6.0) in April, and we're
now working on an minor release (6.1) that is
due out in September.

For the major release, we added a "What's
New in Version 6.0?" chapter to the beginning
of the user guide.

For the minor release, should I:

- keep all of the 6.0 information and tack on a
6.1 section at the end of the What's New chapter?
- delete all of the 6.0 information and just
have 6.1 information in the What's New chapter?

I can think of at least one argument for each
case. However, it would help me to know how other
writers would handle this issue.

(I realize that many companies put this kind of
information into a readme or feature improvements
document. We used to have a separate feature sheet
but, for a number of reasons, we decided to create
a What's New chapter instead.)

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Rowena

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l