System for tracking active/redundant graphics in a doc set?

Subject: System for tracking active/redundant graphics in a doc set?
From: "Hart, Rowena" <Hart -at- SelkirkFinancial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:59:52 -0700

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you have an effective
process for tracking active/redundant graphics
in a doc set.

We have over 400 graphics. These graphics were
created over several years during five or more
releases. Over time, we have lost track of which
graphics are actively used and which are redundant.

I'd like to find some method for tracking graphic
usage from release to release. For example, if
someone deletes a graphic from FrameMaker, we
would like to identify that graphic as redundant
in VSS.

I'm sure that many of you have wrestled with this
problem. What kinds of processes or tools are you
using to determine if a graphic is active or
redundant?

Cheers,

Rowena