Any printing experts?

Subject: Any printing experts?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:39:32 -0400

Jennifer Maitland reports: <<I've created a PDF of my Framemaker book file
that... prints on my printer just fine... I sent the PDF to a woman on a
different floor for review - she is not using the same printer as me. It is
an 84 page book which prints fine on my printer. However, on her printer, it
stops at page 24 and won't print anymore.>>

Has she tried printing pages 1-20, then pages 21-40, and so on? A very
common printing problem involves printers with inadequate memory that choke
on the files that have been sent to them, and one solution is to simply
print the file in chunks. If nothing else, it will help you find out which
pages are actually causing the problem, and that can reveal the solution
(e.g., simplify a complex graphic, reduce the resolution on a bitmap, turn
off graphics compression).

Another solution involves a moderately obscure setting in the printer
properties dialog box under Windows; I'm using Win2000 now, and can't recall
exactly where it's hidden in earlier versions, but there are a couple
settings (available printer memory, and something like "page protection")
that can cause problems. Making sure the available memory equals that
actually available in the printer and enabling "page protection" goes a long
way towards preventing common "out of memory" errors under Windows.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l