RE: Re(2): Slow Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Re(2): Slow Tech Writers
From: "Kight, Cindy K." <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Gilbarco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:05:33 -0700

This is the orignal discussion:
--------------------
>>>Nonsense. -- It doesn't matter how long someone takes. What matters is
the
>accuracy, the rework that is avoided, and how well it works for the
>customer.<<

>What dream company do you work for? We're told the software is being
>released on a certain date and we have to be done before that date -
period.
>There is such a thing as too slow.

Dream company? Sorry but doing it right is the norm in many places. -- It
goes
back to what I was trying to explain in the first place; there are
first-tier
companies and first-tier writing, and second-tier.

In general, from what I see here I get the idea that software companies are
mostly second-tier.

>And I agree that slowness is not synonymous with accuracy or quality.

That's because you and other here are writing software manuals. Some of us
actually have to get it right. It takes more time.

Maybe you guys need to start writing from the code, so you have more time
and
don't have to worry about slow or fast.
-----------------

We are 'doing it right'. We also make our deadlines. That's competence.

Look at auto mechanics. Some of the most competent in the world are also
the fastest - like the pit crews in the Indianapolis 500. They know their
subject well enough to perform at a high rate of speed. Likewise, I'm sure
they know when to slow down and study something more intently because their
driver's life is at stake.

The conclusion that speedy work equals slipshod work and slow work equals
quality work is erroneous. There have been many long, involved development
projects that took years and spent millions with very low-quality results.
There have also been many such projects that succeeded.

The main determining factors for success are more likely to be leadership,
sense of purpose, commitment, and skill.

The slowest writer I've ever worked with is also the worst writer I've ever
worked with. The fastest writer I've ever worked with is the second worst.
Speed is irrelevant.

And there's no need to take cheap shots at the software industry. It's a
untrue generalization and an insult to a large number of skilled, talented
professionals on this list.

Cindy Kight
Technical Communications Manager
RMS Group - Gilbarco, Inc.