Re: An ethical question

Subject: Re: An ethical question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:21:27 -0700

S Ryan wrote:

Is this a series of placed articles?

No.

I don't think there is anything wrong with placed articles so long as they make clear in the byline or in some other way that the article comes from the company. Ideally, they should also be on a subject of general interest to the industry - not just a plug for the company.

But I don't really see placed articles as journalism. I consider them a type of marcom.

You say you were contacted
by a PR person. Is this the first you've heard of this? Are you expected to
cooperate and then pitch these reviews?

Yes, that's the situation. The suggestion didn't come from the editor, but from the PR person.

"Your working day is passing slowly
and you're thinking on the evening time
and we're running wild through your city
all your working days have passed us by."
- Mick Fitzgerald, "All Our Trades are Gone"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l