Re: Documenting open source software in product?

Subject: Re: Documenting open source software in product?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:37:23 -0700

mary -dot- nurminen -at- nokia -dot- com wrote:

I'm working on documenting a product which has a lot of open source software in it. How have you others handled this? Have you provided links to any possible documentation available in the web on that open source software? Or have you produced original material on the software in question?

To start with, read the licenses for the documentation. You may be able to reproduce the software's documentation at no charge. You probably won't be able to copyright your version of the documentation, but that restriction is often a small trade-off for the convenience.

If you do write your own material - and you may have to, since much open source documentation isn't very good - consider releasing it under an open source license to the project that wrote the software. It will be gratefully received, and the good will may be useful to your company later.

"Your working day is passing slowly
and you're thinking on the evening time
and we're running wild through your city
all your working days have passed us by."
- Mick Fitzgerald, "All Our Trades are Gone"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l