RE: Lion's Share - the ultimate usage guide

Subject: RE: Lion's Share - the ultimate usage guide
From: "Drew Adams" <drew -at- synplicity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:04:04 -0700

Of course! Details suddenly flying out from their cover of ignorance and
obscurity - strange birds they are, indeed. Eureka!

In fact, the "out" does argue some for "flush" over "flesh", doesn't it? And
for the flesh metaphor, the details *are* the flesh, to be added to skeletal
ideas. How can one flesh out the flesh? We should speak then of fleshing out
the skeletal idea, not the details. No? Or perhaps of detailing the notion?

Someone had better flush out the one who invented the phrase (for "flesh" is
of course in the original phrase, not "flush") - and hang the furrin tearist
fer corruptin are langidge.

For dictionary.com sayeth:

flush3 (flsh)
v. tr.
To frighten (a game bird, for example) from cover.
To drive or force into the open: The police fired tear gas to flush out the
terrorists.

v. intr.
To dart out or fly from cover.

Personally, I've always liked the unthinking substitution of "for all
intensive purposes", for "for all intents and purposes". Especially since
it's often used to embellish text that is aleady sufficiently pompous,
bureautic and/or nonsensical. Again, how do you spell gobbledygook (where's
that thread)?

- Drew

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l