RE: the correct wording for "the" United Kingdom

Subject: RE: the correct wording for "the" United Kingdom
From: "Rob Partridge" <rob -at- holly -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:51:34 +1000

Hmmm... Not sure... I checked with the Guardian's online style guide - a
nice resource to have handy
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/styleguide/0,5817,,00.html) and it seems to imply
that there is no definite article:

United Kingdom

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. UK is generally preferable in
copy as well as headlines

----
Britain/UK
these terms are synonymous: Britain is the official short form of United
Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Used as adjectives,
therefore, British and UK mean the same. Great Britain, however, refers only
to the mainland of England, Wales and

Rob