Re: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts

Subject: Re: pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:48:37 -0700

Bill Swallow wrote:

Whether you'd like to admit it or not, the human mind is better at
handling visual imformation than print.

That depends on the human mind.Some think better visually, other people think better verbally.

Personally, I'm verbally oriented. For example, I'm much more likely to recognize somebody from a verbal description than I am from a photo. Similarly, I feel a remote little panic when I see instructions that are completely visual; I have to stop and make an effort to concentrate in order to follow them.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that preferences are about equally divided. When I taught first year composition at university, I used to present different ways of planning and outlining. Over seven years, roughly half of each class preferred diagrams and visualization techniques. The other half preferred written outlines and techniques.

However,which technique a student used was a poor indicator of results. Looking back, I would have expected that the verbally oriented students to be better writers, but that didn't seem to be the case.

"They had taught me about power and the abuse of power. Evil would always come to me disguised in systems and dignified by law."
-Pat Conroy, "The Lords of Discipline"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l