Re:pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts

Subject: Re:pictures, words, info, glyphs, symbols, thoughts
From: greg -dot- hamill -at- teradyne -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:05:18 -0400

We're now trying to refine our guidelines for writing for an international
audience. What's more "international" than those people who are "reading"
the information 10K years from now. More logically, you might say alien
instead of international.

Quite a few years ago, a Pioneer spacecraft was going to be the first
physical object that would leave our solar system. A group headed by Carl
Sagan created the objects that would go with the spacecraft as a
representation of us, our location in space, and our culture. It contained
an etched picture of a male and a female standing next to a drawing of the
spacecraft (for size) markers to the nearest pulsars in our galaxy (beacons
for location) and digital recordings of pictures and sounds representing
our history, art, technology, and simply proof of our existence. Not bad
for a box the size of a small suitcase.

People learn and understand information in so many different ways. It would
be ridiculous to assume that pictures alone or words alone would satisfy
all documentation needs. That's why we have encyclopedias, dictionaries,
cookbooks, and those huge sheets with pictures that come with each new PC
that show which green wire connects into which green hole.

Remember - Carl Sagan also wrote the book "Contact."
Greg

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l