Re: Newbie Word Question

Subject: Re: Newbie Word Question
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:54:18 -0700

Evan Martin wrote:

> Is there any advantage of inserting the image as an object and linking to
> the file itself? The only advantage that I've noticed is that you can then
> double-click the image and edit it.

One advantage of linking is that you can update the images by updating the source files. If you're taking screen shots of early-stage software, for example, linking is great--when the UI stabilizes, just replace the graphics source files with updated versions; the next time you open the document, you'll see the new images.

Another advantage is that you keep the Word (.doc) file smaller. There are those who believe that's really important. :)

The disadvantage, of course, is that you have to track and maintain all the graphics files along with the .doc file and template. It's no worse than publishing in HTML, though.

> I have been putting screenshots in by using Insert > Picture > From File.
> This seems to embed the image within the document and I don't need to store
> the original image. Is this common practice?

Hard to say. It depends on who you ask. For short and simple documents with only a few small images, I usually just embed them. For a document of any size and complexity, I tend to link. (I seldom use embed-with-link, although I couldn't say why--I guess I just don't see the advantage of both.)

By the way, you use the same command (Insert, Picture, From File), whichever method you decide to use.

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!