RE: Myth vs. reality

Subject: RE: Myth vs. reality
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:23:11 -0400

Lisa Wright wrote:
[...]

As much as I think single-sourcing has value, both it and content
management using databases (if in fact that falls into a different group
at all) scare me a bit, because I don't _know_ how to do the setup part.
I'm a sole writer. I'm experienced and capable at what I do and I'm very
good with tools. So I don't think it's an issue of having the ability to
figure it out. I frequently hear people say that they have to "sell"
their departments on single-sourcing, and that's what scares me. It is
something I'd have to figure out, and what if I mess it up after my
pitch?

There's a whole range of tools and practices being used for single-sourcing. Some people are single-sourcing for one media (e.g., printed guides for different related models), while others are single-sourcing between media (print and some form of on-line).

If you want to read an article about single-sourcing related print documents in FrameMaker, check out my article on the techwr-l site. "Single-sourcing with FrameMaker" is currently on the front page (http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ ).

I think my article will help you see that single-sourcing doesn't necessarily have to be overwhelming - it depends on what you need for the different outputs and how they differ.

Even if you're considering print/on-line single-sourcing, some of the techniques I mention are still relevant (if you're using FrameMaker combined with some other tool).

Regards,
Michele Marques
msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com
http://members.rogers.com/msmarques